Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 17:13:47 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A really hoopy idea for variant symlinks.

At 1:26 PM -0500 7/5/98, Peter da Silva wrote:
>So yours would be under /proc/curproc/syms. and if you had permission you
>could browse other processes you own and examine them under /proc/pid/syms.
>
>AND, because you're exposing them as symlinks, you don't have to change
>how symlinks work.
>
>Instead of going through .../${USER}/... you'd just set up a symlink in
>the proper place to /proc/curproc/syms/user.
>
>And instead of creating new system calls, you could examine the buggers
>using "ls".
>
>Or diddle them from scripts.

As for the mechanism to interogate and set them, this proposal seems OK to me.
However, to have appropriate value, we need to have A SINGLE VALUE (eg:
osversion)
that can be referenced from multiple places. Thus changing a single value would
change a number of links at the same time.

Richard Wackerbarth