Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:09:48 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Jeff Jirsa <jjirsa@hmc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compile error / abort in 4.5 Release

Jeff Jirsa wrote:

 > I'm getting the following error:
 >
 > cd /usr/src/lib/libcom_err &&  sh /usr/src/tools/install.sh -C -o
 > root -g wheel -m 444
 > /usr/src/lib/libcom_err/../../contrib/com_err/com_right.h
/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include

 > cd /usr/src/lib/libss;          make -B hdrs beforeinstall test -e
 >  ss_err.et || ln -s /usr/src/lib/libss/ss_err.et . compile_et
 > ss_err.et ss_err.et:3:invalid character in table name
 >
 > The command used was "cd /usr/src && make clean && make buildworld"
 >
 > I had previously cvsup'd the source tree (cvsupfile below): less
 > /etc/cvsupfile *default  host=cvsup10.FreeBSD.org *default
 > base=/usr *default  prefix=/usr *default  release=cvs *default
 > tag=RELENG_4 *default  delete use-rel-suffix
 >
 > src-all src-base src-bin src-contrib src-games src-gnu src-include
src-lib

 > src-libexec src-release src-sbin src-share src-sys src-tools src-usrbin
 >

 > src-usrsbin
 >
 > Suggestions?

Hi Jim,

I haven't seen a response to your message so I did a followup.

For starters, if you are going to do src-all, the rest are
meaningless. Since you are cvsuping RELENG_4, it is not 4.5 Release
but 4.5-stable. Now, none of this has anything to do with the error
you are seeing but it is important when it comes to which version you
are using when the error occurs.

The usual response is did you re-cvsup and try it again. I will
occasionally see messages like this and rebuild my system. A
buildworld only takes 20 minutes and I usually have a system that I
can do this on and not bother anything. Your message successfully
pushed the button. What I am seeing is the following

cd /usr/src/lib/libcom_err &&  sh /usr/src/tools/install.sh -C -o root
-g wheel -m 444  /usr/src/lib/libcom_err/../.
./contrib/com_err/com_err.h /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
cd /usr/src/lib/libcom_err &&  sh /usr/src/tools/install.sh -C -o root
-g wheel -m 444  /usr/src/lib/libcom_err/../.
./contrib/com_err/com_right.h /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
cd /usr/src/lib/libss;          make -B hdrs beforeinstall
test -e ss_err.et || ln -s /usr/src/lib/libss/ss_err.et .
compile_et ss_err.et
test -h ss_err.et && rm -f ss_err.et

As you can see, your problem isn't generic with 4.5-stable so I would
recvsup and try again. I don't find a make clean useful; however,
doing a make cleandir twice can be. You don't do it everytime but when
things don't work, it can clean the mess up at times. What version of
FreeBSD were you starting with version wise. A uname -a will tell us that.

 > (Please CC me in your response, as I am not on this particular
 > list)

The cc is part of protocol on the lists.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA