Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:07:14 -0500
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Dale Robson <djr8620@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>, stable <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.0 stable upgrade trouble

For anyone who'd like to know, I was able to successfully upgrade to 4.0-RELEASE
by downloading the source tarballs, and unpacking them in my /usr/src directory.
I cleared it out of the old 3.4 sources beforehand, and found that you must
first compile a 4.0 kernel and reboot before attempting a make world. After you
reboot, you can drop in to single-user (for safety), and run yoyur make world.

Since it only installs the new gcc at the end, you may want to re-make world a
second time, or simply make and install gcc, etc. first.
--cokane

Kris Kennaway had the audacity to say: