Date:      Sun, 07 Mar 1999 09:12:33 -0700
From:      Chris Tubutis <chris@tci.com>
To:        kita@bellatlantic.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with admin for users

kita jackson wrote:

> Howdy Chris,
>
> I added the data to the fields, yet instill they cant login, also their
> passwords donot work
> Simply, I followed the format of the adduser dialog box.
> Was this a mistake or should I have used the comand line, instead?

Kita,

First off, please don't write to people without also CCing the list.  That
way, other people can see what's going on and perhaps learn from the
experiences of others.  And, people make mistakes.  If the entire list
is seeing the discourse, any errant statements given by a single person
are much more likely to be noticed and corrected.

That being said, I'm still having a hard time determining the problem.
Presumably, you're running as the root user when you're attempting to
add these users, right?  Hmmm.....  well, take a look at some of the
other suggestions that people have given.  If you're still having problems,
it would be helpful for us to know the *exact message* you're seeing
when you're attempting to add and/or use these new accounts.  Vague
descriptions like "doesn't work" don't help us much in trying to determine
*why* something isn't working.

ct