Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:02:55 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>, Geoff Rehmet <geoffr@is.co.za>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Star Office 5 woes

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 12:23:51AM +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:

> I don't know anybody who's been able to get it to work, except for you. :-)

Actually, I think quite a few people are running it ok.

> I was toying with the idea of using the fax/email method of registering
> and typing in the codes, but I decided to have a look around first.  I
> tried the example scripts, and a good number of them also had the same
> sort of runtime errors.

Yes, I think the problem is more than just the registration script.  Somehow
I think it can't find some of the files it needs, or the environment doesn't
get set right, or something like that.

> About the only thing left I can think of is hardware/memory/cpu
> differences.  I upgraded my motherboard (doubled ram to 128MB) and a 50%
> faster cpu (still a cyrix though. :-(..) and replaced the drives with a
> much faster set and still didn't get any joy.

FWIW, I'm running it on a machine with K6-266, 256MB RAM, 512MB swap,
and its on a 11.5GB UDMA drive.  But, I really doubt that hardware is
the issue.

> What I'm curious to know is, does it consistantly work for you when you
> reinstall it and reregister it?

It consistently works, but I haven't tried reinstalling and re-registering
except 1) the first time I installed it and had the same problems you do
2) the second time I reinstalled it, when it worked, and 3) the last time
I installed it to generate the transcript that is at lt.tar.com.

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.           email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450