Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 12:24:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why sshd:PermitRootLogin = no ?

Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com> wrote:
 >     Yes, exactly so.  Though I don't think it would hurt to change
 >     the default to:
 >
 >     PermitRootLogin     without-password
 >
 >     Which means that root can only login using a pre-authenticated
 >     method such as an SSH key pair (aka ~root/.ssh/authorized_keys), or
 >     kerberos.  Passworded logins are still disallowed.

There are installations where people don't want root logins
to be enabled, whether with password or not.  This includes
many of the machines I am responsible for -- If the default
was changed, I'd have to edit sshd_config and replace
"without-password" with "no" everywhere.

This is not necessarily a matter of security.  Although
there are certainly ultra-paranoid folks who prefer to have
a setting of "no" for security reasons, or rather for a
better feeling, but anyway, if they want it to be "no", it's
their decision, and it's certainly not wrong to set it that
way.

On the other hand, on many sites it is simply disallowed for
admins to login as root, because it circumvents administrative
concepts, in particular when there are multiple persons in
charge for administration.  Just one example:  When you login
as user, then su to root and type shutdown, your actual
userid will be logged along with the shutdown messages (and
even if it didn't, you can see in wtmp who was logged in at
that time).  If you login as root and shutdown, you can't
say later who did the shutdown.  Therefore it is often a very
good thing to disallow root logins right away, no matter
whether with password, s/key, RSA key, Kerberos or whatever.

Therefore I'd vote for keeping the setting at the "minimum"
possible (i.e. "no").  I think this is also what most people
would expect (see POLA).

Just my 0.02 Euro.

Regards
   Oliver