Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 22:09:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wkb@freebie.demon.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Subject:   Re: max memory on Alpha?

> > Do you know *if* there is a hard limit at 2Gb?
>
> I don't think there is a *hard* limit for the basic VM system but I
> imagine it might have problems finding a large enough contiguous region to
> map the vm_page_t structures. The main limitation is in the i/o system as
> previously noted.

It seems to me that the contiguity requirement is bogus.

If contiguity is other than an implementation artificat (i.e.
it is a true hardware requirement), then it seems to me that
it is time to provide a mechanism for defragging KVA space,
or place the vm_page_t structures in a seperate virtual
address space.

On a related note, I've always though that drivers (and their
related kernel threads, should such obnoxious things become
more commonplace) ought to run in their own VA space, on a
per driver basis, so that a bad driver couldn't pee in the
pool.  This would keep bad drivers from actually crashing
the system, short of a halt or going into a tight loop (even
then, a timer interrupt should be able to recover the halt,
and a preemption should be able to recover the loop, if it
is a kernel thread -- or even generally, if kernel preemption
were to be supported).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---