Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 21:24:34 +1000 (EST)
From:      Sue Blake <sue@vedanix.welearn.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   docs/8334: install.hlp fixes

>Number:         8334
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       install.hlp fixes
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.6-STABLE i386
>Environment:

Three changes outlined below:
     [1] Install from DOS (diff below)
     [2] Consider addition to mounting instructions
     [3] Change tense and/or version number?

[1]

diff below clarifies that Drive C must be used for DOS partition install.
I believe this was the case with 2.2.5, and haven't heard of it changing.
See docs/8333 for explanation of DOS primary partition issues and letter-naming.
I also made the DOS prompt look like a default DOS prompt.

[2]

Consider adding MAKEDEV instructions under this para. Would save some -questions.
Sorry, I don't trust myself to type it in right :-)

  2.3     Can I mount my DOS extended partitions?
  ---     ---------------------------------------

  Yes. DOS extended partitions are mapped in at the end of the other
  `slices'' in FreeBSD, e.g. your D: drive might be /dev/sd0s5, your E:
  drive /dev/sd0s6, and so on. This example assumes, of course, that
  your extended partition is on SCSI drive 0. For IDE drives, substitute
  `wd'' for `sd'' appropriately. You otherwise mount extended
  partitions exactly like you would mount any other DOS drive, e.g.:

  mount -t msdos /dev/sd0s5 /dos_d

[3]

Bring this para up to date:

  2.4     Can I run DOS binaries under FreeBSD?
  ---     -------------------------------------

  Not yet!  We'd like to add support for this someday, but are still
  lacking anyone to actually do the work.  Ongoing work with BSDI's
  doscmd utility is bringing this much closer to being a reality in
  FreeBSD-current (AKA 3.0) and you should send mail to
  freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org if you're interested in joining this
  effort!

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

Apply this patch and see above.

*** install.hlp.old	Mon May 25 08:13:43 1998
--- install.hlp	Thu Oct 15 21:07:59 1998
***************
*** 232,246 ****

  To prepare for installation from an MS-DOS partition you should simply
  copy the files from the distribution into a directory called
! "FREEBSD".  For example, to do a minimal installation of FreeBSD from
! DOS using files copied from the CDROM, you might do something like
! this:

!         C> MD C:\FREEBSD
!         C> XCOPY /S E:\BIN C:\FREEBSD\BIN

! Assuming that `C:' was where you had free space and `E:' was where
! your CD was mounted.

  For as many `DISTS' as you wish to install from DOS (and you have free
  space for), install each one in a directory under `C:\FREEBSD' - the
--- 232,245 ----

  To prepare for installation from an MS-DOS partition you should simply
  copy the files from the distribution into a directory called
! "FREEBSD" on the Primary DOS partition ("Drive C:").  For example, to do
! a minimal installation of FreeBSD from DOS using files copied from the
! CDROM, you might do something like this:

!         C:\> MD C:\FREEBSD
!         C:\> XCOPY /S E:\BIN C:\FREEBSD\BIN

! Assuming that `E:' was where your CD was mounted.