Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:56:55 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@queasyweasel.com>
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.ORG, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Subject:   "Standard" version numbers (Re: SYSTEM package contradictions)

--rJwd6BRFiFCcLxzm

[1] says:

"Feature version specification: regular version, serial number
(integer), snapshot date (time_t GMT). Accessors to the feature type
are in the Feature namespace."

What's a "regular version"??? In my porting experience, I learned
there's no way in hell we'll have "regular versions" to use from.

It might be appropriate to just drop the regular version altogether
and use serial numbers/snapshots dates for versioning. Regular
versions could still be used symbolically.

Otherwise we need to define a hardcore version scheme that will not
cause too much trouble. We don't have that in ports right now.

A.

On Sun Jun 02, 2002 at 11:26:39PM -0700, Jordan K Hubbard wrote:
> The package documentation describes the correct behavior.  The=20
> implementation only describes what got implemented, and not even=20
> correctly. :)
>=20
> On Sunday, June 2, 2002, at 07:00PM, The Anarcat wrote:
>=20
> >4- what is the format of the "standard revision" feature element? x.y?
> >x.y,z? And in any case, how should be interpreted the version of the
> >FreeBSD (or OSNAME) feature?

Footnotes:=20
[1]  http://usw4.freebsd.org/~libh/sysinstall2/x111.html

--=20
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led
them into it in the first place. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

--rJwd6BRFiFCcLxzm

--rJwd6BRFiFCcLxzm--