Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:56:39 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <jan.grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        "gs_stoller@juno.com" <gs_stoller@juno.com>
Cc:        youshi10@u.washington.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need /bin/sh script help

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, gs_stoller@juno.com wrote:

> On  Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:30:32 -0700  Garrett Cooper wrote (my brief response follows all of his text):
>
>     Just making a series of sh scripts to help automate updating and
> whatnot of my fileserver (since I am trying to avoid having mistakes
> occur with my system, and maybe help the community out a bit by
> providing some decent means of updating their own machines), and I was
> wondering if anyone could help me out with the following script I've
> developing (the grep if statements are incorrect..):

> I see a problem in the line
> if [ -n `grep -e s/KERNCONF=/ /etc/make.conf` ] # want to look for
> you should have double-quotes around the  `grep  ...  conf`
> because it is likely to produce more than one token and so the
>  [ -n ... ] statement violates the syntax (there should be exactly 1
> token between the -n and the ] , even no token there is an error, the
> way that is handled is to quote it. I am writing this quickly without
> bringing up my FreeBSD system to check it.  Good luck.

Or simply use the error status of grep, no "[" invocation:

	if grep -q ...
	then
	fi

Note that if you're looking at automating the update process you should
probably pay careful attention to the world/kernel update process
described in the handbook; there are steps (like an initial mergemaster
-p) that you will want to include.

--
jan grant, ISYS, University of Bristol. http://www.bris.ac.uk/
Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/