Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:32:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fetch in passive mode fails (repost)

Hi,

Dan writes:
> I cannot get make to do its fetches in passive mode.  As a result, when
> doing a make I get errors like this: (snipped)

> OK.  That tells me fetch is not using passive mode.  Running a fetch
> with "-p" succeeds.  I could just drop the firewall rules and do it
> again, but that's not good enough.  A read of man fetch tells about an
> environment variable:  "FTP_PASSIVE_MODE forces the use of passive
> mode FTP".  I thought it was an environment variable, so I set that.
> No effect.

I had forgotten about this switch in make.conf so I didn't do that at home
where I'm going through a firewall to get out.  What I did was edit
bsd.port.mk and modified the fetch and ftp commands to use the -p switch.
You can edit your bsd.port.mk and look for where FETCH_CMD is defined and
change /usr/bin/fetch to /usr/bin/fetch -p.

I _know_ this works.  Why it doesn't when you set FTP_PASSIVE_MODE in
make.conf I don't know.  I will go home and try that.  One bad thing w/ my
solution is you have to fix it everytime you upgrade the bsd.port.*.mk
files.

Brett