Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2000 10:50:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/17066: audio/xmms chewing CPU (and skipping too)

The following reply was made to PR ports/17066; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To: Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, esk@ira.uka.de
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 19:37:34 +0100

 On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 05:55:54PM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
 > On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 06:34:42AM +0100, Juergen Lock wrote:
 > >
 > > >Number:         17066
 > > >Category:       ports
 > > >Synopsis:       audio/xmms chewing CPU (and skipping too)

 > Have you tried applying the patch in kern/16709? That fixed a whole
 > load of speed related stuff for me (that only appeared in 1.0.1, 0.9.5
 > was fine).

 Ok i've looked at that patch and it won't help as the soundcard in
 that box uses a different driver (and that one does have select() btw.)
 I also tested it with the other driver (its a isa sb16 where both the
 old and new drivers work), but it made no real difference.

  And in the meantime i've also chatted with a linux user who said
 xmms doesn't eat as much cpu on his box (just a few % there), so i'm
 beginning to suspect a pthreads problem or something...  That would
 also explain why an entirely different audio player (freeamp) is
 chewing cpu too, tho that one doen't eat _all_ available cycles when
 its idle, just (imho) way too much.

  Soo, anyone who knows `our' pthreads implementation wants to take a
 look?  and if you want the unfinished cpu chewing freeamp port just
 mail me...

  Thanx + Regards,
 --
 Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>