Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:48:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        sos@sos.freebsd.dk (Søren Schmidt)
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, tom@uniserve.com, freebsd@atipa.com, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, ggm@connect.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE vs SCSI was: flags 80ff works (like anybody doubted it)

Sigh... the "SCSI is too expensive" argument is still bogus.  The only
valid arguments are (1) it is a higher up front cost (unless you actually
get *quality* IDE hardware, then it's the same) and (2) international
costs are higher if you buy from local dealers (since you have to
pay to get it shipped internationally anyway; you're just paying the
dealer instead of the shipper).

> You can actually build a 28G fileserver with 4 of the new Maxtor 7G
> drives for less than US$ 1800 for the drives. Add a decent mother
> board and a netcard and you have a very nice ftp/web/whatever server
> for less that US$ 3000. Beat that!

I have a Dual Pentium box (ASUS) with 32M of RAM, NCR PCI SCSI 2,
a 4M S3 964 PCI card, DEC ethernet PCI card, and DEC SCSI drives.

It cost ~$2000, both processors installed, with a 3v/5v power supply
and a tower case.

The machine is only ever down for me to reboot a new kernel, or,
recently, to install a 1G JAZ drive (~$200) and a 9G 7200 RPM 3 1/2
IBM drive (~$650 from www.onsale.com, ~6ms avg. access).

Once, I had to replace the power supply fan.

Other than that, it has been powered on continuously for nearly two
years now.

Two *YEARS*.  It has never had a hardware failure other than the
fan (all power supply fans are designed to fail anyway; it's expected).

What is the MTBF on IDE?  IDE drives are only now getting to the
point where they rival the speed of this 2 year old SCSI combo.

What if you want to add a JAZ drive?  A CDROM drive?  A tape backup?

For 2 of three of these, you will be installing another controller.
If you have 2 hard drives, you will be installing another controller.
If you want a DVD CDROM drive or a JAZ drive, you will be installing
a SCSI controller.  If you want a fast scanner, you will be installing
a SCSI controller.

A tiny investment up front (if you are silly enough to buy a motherboard
without onboard SCSI... many have AHA2940 family chips on them today)
and you have a *serious* amount of expandability that IDE just doesn't
buy you.

Plus if you go to explicit termination (cable terminator & external
connector terminator), you will have *zero* termination problems (I
have *zero* termination problems).

In addition, it is trivial for me to use the "turbo" switch connected
to a .100 cdrom sound cable connector to allow me to switch the JAZ
drive between ID's 0 and 2 (JAZ drives read their SCSI Id's once at
power-on), and boot multiple OS's.

Try *that* with an IDE drive on a secondary controller once your two
measley channels on your primary controller are used up by your boot
drive and your CDROM drive...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org