Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:18:59 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving ports around?

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Pav Lucistnik wrote:
>

>> Hmm, recreating a package from the installed port and installing it
>> again in chroot() sounds pretty straightforward to me...
>>

> It has the indispensable quality that it works. The downsides are the
> overhead in CPU consumption (compress, decompress) and disk space.

    Compressing and decompressing packages still takes an inordinate
amount of time from what I've seen, so it's probably not the best idea
to do.

    What would happen too if one or more of the config files was
modified by a third-party (third-party being outside of the
ports/package tools and the original FreeBSD volunteer / package
maintainer)? That wouldn't work (unless you made the modifications
yourself), but after that point the package becomes sort of undistributable.

    The only way AFAIK to circumvent that issue would be if you someone
installed / created the package via a tinderbox (which is the way that
it's done currently, correct?).

-Garrett