Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 22:54:39 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Jason P <steelr@apk.net>
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V3 #381

> From: Jason P <steelr@apk.net>
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 04:21:06 -0400
> Subject: just a quick one promise!!!
>

> hi, i've been reading alot of ducumentation on frebsb and it looks seems
as though it is superior to most
> os's.  I'm currently using win95 on a 486dx4/100 and I spend hours a day
on the net.  Also spending alot
> of time on the irc.  I was just wondering (and I know this is gonna be a
real stupid question,but charm
> me!)   If I install bsd on my pc will i have
> to get rid of win95?? (my girlfriend will kill me)  and if not then
wouldnt I have to partition

You will not have to get rid of (though you may *voluntarily*  want to
after some time, the same holds for your girlfriend).

> my hard drive??  From spending some time in irc I'm finding out just how
volnurable win95's winsock's are

Well, you will have to make room for FreeBSD on it. One way is
repartitioning, the other is getting a new (well, an old will do) hard
disk with free space on it.

> and everybody tells me to switch to linux or dont come on irc
> they declared war with nukes,floods,bots etc...and they will always
win....so I need the
> security but more important i need the knowledge of source code....never
even saw it...
> windows has kept me in the dark long enough........Be honest, is this an
operating sys
> that a newbie like me can cope with or is it just to much for someone
who really does'nt
> know the inner working's of a pc....cuz i really do wanna learn...

Well, everybody has *sometimes* been a newbie, that can't be helped.

Newbies certainly can install and use FreeBSD, it is, contrary to popular
belifs, not harder than using Windows. It is, however, a bit different.

If you have disk space at all, don't forget to install X + other
useful packages (a window manager - they are all highly customisable,
fvwm95 comes with win95 look and feel to a point, but there are several
others).

And no, you don't need to know the inner workings of the PC. Hiding it
from you is the job of the OS.

And you can *always* ask again in this list if you happen to run into
problems.

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.