Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 2011 07:12:06 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
Cc:        "<freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   * Re: FreeBSD 8 LiveFS - How To Start SSHD?

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 26, 2011, at 3:53 AM, Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd> wrote:

> On 12/24/11 11:35 PM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>> I've lost a drive in my FBSD 8.? box.  I have a FBSD 8.1 LiveFS CD from
>> which I've booted.  I'd like to get sshd running so I can connect
>> remotely and have the ability to browse, copy/paste, etc. while I see
>> what I might be able to salvage before replacing my drive.
>>=20
>> I've found these directions:
>>=20
>> http://wiki.ggis.biz/index.php/Recover_Using_LiveFS
>>=20
>> I can do the "Configure the network connection", the  "setup login shell
>> for root", and the "Prepare SSH" part.  However the "Enable, configure,
>> and start sshd" part doesn't seem to apply and really doesn't make sense.
>>=20
>> Bottom line is that after running /mnt2/use/sbin/sshd, I can see the
>> process in ps output.  However when I attempt to connect to sshd as
>> root, my connection is immediately closed.  I'm thinking it's a
>> PermitRootLogin yes issue and I'm missing something but I've read and
>> re-read that section and verified that /etc/ssh/sshd_config contains
>> PermitRootLogin yes.
>>=20
>> Can anyone tell me how to get sshd running or point me to a better link?
>>=20
>> Thanks,
>>=20
>> Drew
>>=20
>=20
>=20
> I would suggest using Martin Matuska's MFSBSD and loading it over PXE
> (or burning it to a disk).
>=20
> It'll load you a 8.2 BSD in RAM, and from there you'll be able to mount
> your local disks.
>=20

Alternatively, you could try my DruidBSD. An 8.1 based 24MB bootable ISO th=
at contains 150+ utilities and boots into RAM from CD, DVD or USB thumb (ju=
st dd the iso to thumb).

http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/

I've ran root-login-enabled sshd from this several times.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.