Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 1995 17:57:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "H. Jared Agnew" <jagnew@csugrad.cs.vt.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install problem (-c) (fwd)

*** NEW STUFF ***
since I sent this to questions at freebsd.org I've tried unpluging the
mouse, disabling the cashe, taking out the cash, hitting keys at boot up,
and a few varous other ideas, none that worked.  I'm writing here because
I thougt someone might have the code.  I'm not subscribed to this list,
so if you are writing back will you please write to me and the list.
Thanks and I would aprietiate any help.
*****************

*** OLD STUFF ***

I am a fairly new user but I can get my way around, at least the
instalation.  I have installed on five systems so far and just minor
problems but here is the stumper.  I am trying to install to a Dell
Dimension P100 with 16M of ram, an NE2000 ethernet card, and a 771 #9 video
card with 2M of vram.  It has two IDE controlers off of the mother board,
one for the CDROM, and one for the IDE Hard drive.

I am trying to install to the machine however I run into a new problem.
I have to -c the boot for two reasons

1.  I need to configure the ethernet card
2.  I need to disable some of the devices that will interfere with the card

When I dont -c the boot off of the instalation floppie (boot.flp) and let
it go through the probing of all the devices it doesn't find the ethernet
card.  When I do -c the boot and disable the drivers I don't need and
then change the value for ed0 for the ethernet card.  It finds the card
and probes everything else fine.  However when I get to the inital
installation menu, the machine (or at least the keyboard) is locked up
and it will not allow me to do any user input.

I have tried to get around this problem by installing without the -c and
then configuring the port and irq for the card on a boot off of the hard
drive.  However when I -c on the hard drive boot it will alow me the same
options.  I can disable all the things I dont want probed and I can
change settings so it finds ethernet card.  When I quit the configure it
goes through all the probing and again locks up at the first time it
wants user input.  This is at the Login prompt for boots off of the hard
drive.  The problem with this is that after I have set the card values
and disabled the drivers I dont want, the machine locks up.  Then I have
to turn the machine off and the disks are not sync'ed.  There for I
usually have a failure on booting the next time.

I know that one way to get way arround this is to compile a kernel with
my settings and my devices that I want probed already built in however, I
need to get his installation over ethernet so I need to -c when
booting off of the boot.flp.

If you have any sudgestions I would greatly apretiate it.  If you know
please write because I've asked a ton of people and they dont know either.

If anyone knows if it may be a problem with any kind of hardware that he
might have in his machine will you also include that in what ever you
have to tell me.

I'm beging, actually he's beging, but I need the help so he stops asking
me for help.

Thanks in advance!

---  Jared
--jared@vt.edu

Sorry about spelling, must be line noise over my ethernet connection!

|  H. Jared Agnew  |  jared@vt.edu   |      |  __|   |  __|
|  http://csugrad.cs.vt.edu/~jagnew  |      | |__    | |__
|       phone : (540) 232-4438       |      | ___|   |___ |
|          alias : killdash9         |      | |__     __| |