Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:52:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Oliver Stockhammer <oliver@inch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question regarding 3.1-stable and drifting time clock.

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Oliver Stockhammer wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I am running 3.1-stable on a Pentium 90.  I get a wicked time
> drift, something like 5 minutes fast every hour.  It is not my bios clock
> as that is keeping correct time (it is set to UTC).

You too, eh?  When you boot up, you should get a line like:

Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 100228262 Hz

What does it report for the freq?

Something is up with the 3.X TSC calibration and it causes timewarping
clocks.

 I am running xntpd to
> attempt to stop this and it is locally synching to another FBSD box which
> is keeping accurate time.  I have run tzsetup and set it to UTC as well
> with EDT as the timezone.
> 	When xntpd starts up it seems to be fine:
>
> Jun  2 16:10:37 ary xntpd[106]: xntpd version=3.4e (beta multicast);
> Mon Feb 15 10:12:13 GMT 1999 (1)
> Jun  2 16:10:37 ary xntpd[106]: tickadj = 5, tick = 10000,
> tvu_maxslew = 495
>
> 	But upon inspection of the time about an hour later, the clock has
> drifted again 5 minutes fast and continues to drift about 5 minutes/hour.
> 	There is no other logging in /var/log/messages from xntpd after
> starting it.

xntpd can slew it only so much.  I'm trying xntpd on another problem box
but I'm not sure it can keep up.

> 	If I restart the machine and check the bios it is correctly set to
> UTC and the accurate time.  Is this a bug with 3.1-stable or am I missing
> something?

I'm not sure if this is due to flaky PC hardware or if it's an actual bug.
Our P90 thinks it's a P87.5.  I think I'll enter a PR on it to get the
ball rolling.

Doug White