Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:05:35 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
Cc:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: does toor have passwd or not? According to logins -p: yes

--------------enig8F1CCE89C86AC71ECAEDD168

Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, Matthew Seaman wrote:

>> If there's nothing in the second field, then you have a problem, as th=
at
>> means the account has a NULL password (ie.  just hit return when promp=
ted
>> for a password --

> I've been wrong before, but I think you do not get a password prompt at=
=20
> all,
> at least not on login.  You enter the login: name and you are off to mo=
td
> and a command prompt.

It depends on what application you're using to authenticate yourself.
Login on the console doesn't ask for a password.  sshd(8) does (IIRC).
I can't remember what su(1) does.  ftpd(8) always asks for a password.
xdm(1) and that ilk have fields for username and password in one panel,
and generally you just ignore the password field.  That's for access to
a non-root account: as I said, root or other super-user accounts such as
toor may not permit root login at all, or may not permit login without a
password.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20