Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 10:27:12 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Embedding graphics in SGML?

> Can someone point me to a reference on how to embed graphics (diagrams)
> into an SGML document?

Using the Docbook DTD?  Here's a reference:

    http://www.ora.com/davenport/dbdoc/ref/refpages/graph.htm

Here's something that might be more useful ... an example:  :-)

<!DOCTYPE chapter PUBLIC "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN" [
<!ENTITY shot SYSTEM "shot.gif" ndata gif>
<!ENTITY hierarchy SYSTEM "hierarcy.eps" ndata eps>
]>
<chapter>
  <title>Some Figures</title>
  <para>
    In this chapter, we introduce some figures that exist in
    external GIF and Encapsulated PostScript files.
  </para>
  <para>
    Following this paragraph is a simple screenshot depicting a shot of
    the screen.
    <figure float="1">
      <title>How the screen looks</title>
      <graphic entityref="shot"></graphic>
    </figure>
  </para>
  <para>
    <xref linkend="class-hierarchy"> depicts the class hierarchy.
    <figure id="class-hierarchy" float="1">
      <title>Class hierarchy</title>
      <graphic entityref="hierarchy"></graphic>
    </figure>
  </para>
</chapter>

--Sean