Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:35:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: msgbuf default size...

John-Mark Gurney wrote:
 > Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
 > > John-Mark Gurney wrote:
 > >
 > > > I believe we should make the default 64k, and let other platforms,
 > > > like arm, use DEFAULTS to change it to smaller values if necessary...
 > >
 > > Better idea:
 >
 > I'd give you:
 >
 > >       if (ram <= 64MB)
 > >               msgbuf_size = 8k
 > >       else
 > >               msgbuf_size = 64k
 >
 > But anyone who is installing -current on a low memory system these days
 > are going to be tweaking and building custom kernels already... why
 > can't they tweak this option along w/ the rest?  (look at Warner's work
 > to break out the PHY's)

I noticed that AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT and AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT
(which increase kernel size by 400 KB!) are also in GENERIC.
Someone who builds a kernel for a small system will have to
remove those anyway, so tuning MSGBUF_SIZE is probably not a
big deal for him either.

Therefore I also vote for increasing the default from 32 KB
to 64 KB.  It makes bug reports more useful if they include
output from a verbose boot of GENERIC, which can easily
exceed 32 KB these days.

For similar reasons, I would like to ask for including the
option INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE by default in GENERIC.  It only
requires about 10 KB of space, but it can be extremely
helful.  I've quite often seen people asking how to recover
their kernel configuration (e.g. lost during an update).
INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE would have saved their day ...

It's probably a good idea to add a section to the tuning(7)
manual page describing how to tune a kernel for systems
with small memory.  I might give it a try when I have a
bit of spare time.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I learned Java 3 years before Python.  It was my language of
choice.  It took me two weekends with Python before I was more
productive with it than with Java." -- Anthony Roberts