Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 02:34:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Valentino Crimi <tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tripwire was Re: append-only devices for logging

Excerpts from FreeBSD-Security: 11-Dec-98 Re: tripwire was Re: append..
by Roger Marquis@roble.com
>> how do you protect tripwire from modification?
>
>We keep the entire tripwire directory encrypted when not in use.

  This latest discussion has had me toying with the idea of an NFS R/O
mount for tripwire use, it has the obvious advantages of complete
protection for tripwire and its datafiles.  The main points of weakness
that need to be addressed are:

  You need to trust your mount_nfs command, as well as the kernel
  Making sure the remote connection isn't tampered with.

 You can load mount_nfs off a floppy, and, in general I think that
having to trust the kernel is a necessity.

 Where I begin to doubt is what to do for the network connection.  I'm
uncertain how feasable an attack on the network is, but UDP mode seems
especilly volnerable to a hacked machine injecting data, I'm not sure
how NFS woudl react to this at all.

  It would appear to be a good medium security measure, a network attack
seems infeasable or at least easilly detectable were it to exist,
forwarding  a TCP NFS over ssh is tempting, but then you have to trust
ssh (etc).  Any comments on this?