Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 09:16:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, osa@serv.etrust.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail-8.9.1 in -current & in 3.0-RELEASE???

> > I see no conflict between the original UCB copyrighted code and the entire
> > backage being under a more restricted "umbrella" license.  Yes, it's
> > unfortunate that there are extra restrictions, but that's life. Considering
> > how sendmail development is now being funded, we came out of it pretty well
> > I think.
>
> The Sleepycat license (the dbm code required by sendmail is under this
> license) is insidious in that it is effectively GPL.

Sendmail 8.9.1 has no problems using the FreeBSD db code, DB 2.0 is not
required.  I think the actual requirement is for something at least as new
as 1.5, though they do talk about bugs in 1.5. In the future, DB < 2.00
compatibility may be phased out (not discussed, just being realistic) but
it hasn't happened yet.