Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:08:49 -0500
From:      Paul Root <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        Justin Muir <jkuir@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lean mean kernel with sound!! + dumb questions

Justin Muir wrote:

> Hello. I'm a recent ex-DOS junkie who recently installed FreeBSD.  This
> an overwhelming OS to use after years of DOS, but  I do understand the
> concept of making a leaner kernel w/o all the unused drivers but I'm
> uncertain as to how to accomplish this.

If you didn't install the kernel sources, do that. Then, go to
/sys/i386/conf and cp GENERIC to another file of your choosing.
Edit that file to have just what you want/need. Note, there are
a lot of things in there that you need that you don't know about.
Read GENERIC and LINT carefully, and check out the handbook, it has
good advice for building. A helpful hint, there are a lot of lines that
say "option	FOO", many of those FOO's are not really options if it's
going to be useful. Like right up on top. INET isn't really an option.
Neither
is FFS.

>                                         Btw - I would also like to
> install drivers for my SB16. Any tips or encouragement?  One other
Sure. Here's a tip:

# Sound Card
controller snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 6
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x300
options "SBC_IRQ=5"
options "SB16_DMA=6"

You need all of those in the kernel. This assumes that the SB is using
IRQ 5, but
nothing else changed. Actually, I think you can add the opl device too.

And now the encouragement. Get OSS, it's a KLM that handles the setup of
sound
cards much more easily than the kernel stuff. www.4front-tech.com. It
costs about
$25, but well worth it to me. I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer.

> thing, how can I see where I am amidst all the directories and files? Or

pwd. There are ways of having the prompt tell you what directory your
in. IMO,
bash is best at that with it's builtin (PS1="\u@\h:\w % "

> does that not matter now that I've got a real OS?

Of course it matters. You need to know where you are.

> ps- how do I distinguish between types files etc since I can't seem to
> find extensions?
Use the file command.

Paul.