Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 1997 09:02:30 -0800
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@progroup.com>
To:        Pbl <fritz!pbl@dorotech.fr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Headache about Release

Pbl wrote:

> First, sorry for my incorrect english.
>
> Yesterday morning, I was happy :). I bought my 2.1.6 walnut creek cdrom (there
> is some delay between France and the U.S.) and plan to upgrade my system.
>
> Yesterday evening, I was sad :(. I have read from questions mailing list that
> due to some security problems 2.1.6 will be replaced by 2.1.7.
>
> What's sort of problems (kernel, TCP/IP, commands) ??
>

>From what I know, I believe you will be vulnerable if you are connected
to the internet and allow logins of untrusted users.

There is a bug in the setlocale() code used in crt0.o, which is compiled
into all executables, that can be used to core dump a setuid program
and gain root access.

It sounds like you have some control over your users, and they can be
trusted.  Make sure they are using good passwords; run crack.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088