Date:      26 Apr 2002 12:24:02 -0300
From:      O Senhor <osenhor@uol.com.br>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   loader

why anybody reply my messages??
i guess hat somebody knows how shoul i fix the problem...
thanks again!!!

hi,
i'm brazilian, and i have one problem that i guess, you can help...
i have one freebsd diskless box, running fine! (4.5)
but the machine are booting with rom image from floppy. i wanna boot
from my hard drive...yes! i have one.. :)
i don't wanna download the kernel by the ethernet.
then, i did install one freebsd in my hard drive (minimun intallation),
and did put my diskless kernel overwrite the old one. i did think that
this would works fine... the kernel would be loaded, and the remain
procedures would continue working... but do not!
the kernel load, run, and ask for the root filesystem... the dhcp server
respond, but the root filesystem remains pointing to ufs:/dev/ad0s1a...
then, i had tried to boot without loader... directly by the boot2. it
works fine. but the top, systat and other programs do not! (FAQ)
warning the loader metadata is missing.
then, now i now that the loader is the bad guy. it is telling to kernel
that the root filesystem is ufs:/dev/ad0s1a... but the boot2 are too. it
do not load the metadatas. :)
then i had tryed set the variables rootdev and another things in
/boot/loader.conf... but do not work!
then i boot by loader and before the kernel to be loaded, i press one
key, and typed: boot -a
then, the kernel ask me for the root filesystem. i type:
nfs:10.124.66.21:raiz. and works!!!
how can i do this procedure automated????
this fix the problem!!!
or to make the boot2 to load the metadata... or another thing..
i did removed the /boot directory and the configurations files to
loader... i did let only the loader program... and the ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
remains...
then, i guess that the variables in loader.conf and defaults/loader.conf
are not working. help me!
thanks in advance.