Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 07:41:07 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Nate Puri <natepuri@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FrameMaker under compat/linux?

--==_Exmh_-887244589P

If memory serves me right, Nate Puri wrote:
> I'm trying to make the Linux FrameMaker port run under
> compat/linux, but to no avail. Has anyone made this
> work?

I haven't tried this.

> Alternatively, anyone with FrameMaker experience able
> to enlighten me on it's capabilities vis a vis LaTeX
> and LyX?  Thanks...

You didn't say what you were wanting to use either program for, but
here's a former academic's perspective, based on a lot of FrameMaker
usage, and a little bit of LaTeX/LyX:

Both are very nice document processors, in that they're capable of
dealing with large files, and they encourage working in a structured
environment (e.g. you describe parts of the text by what they *are*,
rather than what they *look like*).  Both do quite well at importing
graphics files from other sources.  LaTeX and FrameMaker both run on
UNIX, Windows, and MacOS, don't know about LyX.

FrameMaker:  Easy to create many different types of documents.  A nice
drawing editor built-in.  WYSIWYG editor.

LyX/LaTeX:  Bibliographic database support (bibtex).  The standard in
the math/scientific world for math/equation typesetting.  Plain LaTeX
(no LyX) gives you the ability to use whatever editor you want.

When I was a CS grad student, my department was pretty evenly split
between FrameMaker and LaTeX (LyX wasn't around at the time), with the
theoretical computer scientist types preferring LaTeX and the systems
folk preferring FrameMaker.  I did my dissertation on FrameMaker but in
retrospect I could have used LaTeX just as easily.

If you are producing documents for a conference or publication, it'd be
really useful to know what the receipients prefer.  For example, many
IEEE-sponsored conferences and publications strongly prefer submissions
in LaTeX.  If that doesn't matter, try 'em both and see which works
better for you.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-887244589P