Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 19:11:00 +0800
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@www.svzserv.kemerovo.su>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with installing 4.4-2001104-STABLE

Hi!

Recently I've downloaded this snapshot from releng4.freebsd.org
using 'wget -r'. I have also checked md5 checksums, all is Ok.
I put snapshot to my local ftp server running FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE
with stock ftpd server. Then I start fresh installation
over ftp - made 2 floppies, booted machine and choose 'Custom'
installation. In the 'Options' screen I turned debug on.
When selecting distributions I marked only 'bin' distribution.
Media is ftp, interface is ed0 that works perfect.
This machine has only 8Mb of RAM and 162Mb of hard drive
so I configure 20Mb swap partition and the rest is root filesystem.
Here, in the 'Label' screen I hit 'W' to activate swapping.
(I remember that starting with 4.2 is is not possible to install
FreeBSD with 8M RAM over ftp/ethernet if you do not activate swap
before 'Commit').

Now installation starts. It runs ok, downloads and extracts
bin distribution (there are still 40M of free disk space, as
'df -k' shows at VT4), but sysinstall says it cannot install
bin distribution and asks to restart downloading. At VT2 I see:

kernel.GENERIC
9440 blocks
DEBUG: wait for gunzip returned status of -1!

As I can see, there are really no problems and distribution
is unrolled.

If I do not accept to restart downloading, it proceedes with installation.
I have working system after completing installaton and rebooting.

Note, that when I accepted restarting of installation, it was an infinite loop.
I also tried to restart installation using Ctrl-Alt-Del and choosing 'Restart'
from menu. Later there was signal 11, but I cannot remeber exactly at
what stage. I rebooted with floppies and tried to install again
having slices and partitions from previous try.
There were lots of signal 11 in this way, I tried some variations.

So, the problem is that I could not install system without ignoring
the first complain from sysinstall.

Eugene Grosbein