Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 10:27:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Walsh <paul@nation-net.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CC:MAIL ramblings

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Paul Walsh wrote:

> We have a client who want a quick and easy gateway to Internet mail for
> CC:mail ( they don't use Notes ) now that they have installed a leased
> line.
>
> Will FreeBSD do this? Because I know it doesn't entertain MS Mail. And
> so will CC:mail work as a POP client too with popper? And in fact why do
> they need cc:mail at all? Wouldn't Internet mail clients for both LAN
> and E-mail be better and more fun?

AFAIK, FreeBSD can't handle anything but SMTP, and with add-on ports, pop
and imap.  To say the least, it could be cheaper -- you can use Eudora and
other free mail clients if you install pop on your mail server.  Check
licensing though, it may be different for commercial environments.

I do know that a SMTP <-> CC:Mail gateway exists, we have one running here
at the UO.  CC:Mail is an old throwback that some departments don't want
to discard, everyone else uses pine or eudora, so we've had to hack them
into the existing system.  Of course, it costs $$$, and unless everyone on
cc:mail is ready to dump it (don't count on it!), you might consider
buying the gateway.

> If the answer is yes surely this has to a very stable and fast solution
> for every LAN mail system?

It works for the University of Oregon, a 15,000+ student college, and with
proper setup, it can work for you.

> So ... how did MS Mail and cc:mail ever come to be invented at all. Was
> it purely to run on dos boxes?

These were developed before pop3 was a real standard, and as always, there
is a rush for proprietarity when a competitor fires up...