Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 23:29:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP and SLIP Servers

I am able to establish a slip or a ppp connection to Stanford's slip
service from home, using FreeBSD 2.1R.

But Stanford's lines are often busy, and I was thinking I might like
to use my 2.0.5 setup at the office, connected to Stanford's Ethernet
setup, as slip or ppp server.

The documentation suggests that to run it as a ppp server, I need an
ip address for it different from the ip address I have that's assigned
to the Ethernet interface; and I also need an ip address for the machine
at home.

The slip server discussion doesn't mention this, but it does note that
"options GATEWAY" needs to be in the kernel.

It may be that it's just too complicated to make the office machine
work as a server, but I would be interested in comments on which would
be likely to work better and whether I really do need additional ip
addresses.

					Annelise