Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:26:23 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ImageMagick port: source file not available

I completely agree, but Cristy has always taken the line of "fix it
NOW" for minor bits and pieces. He's always been open to tweaking
operations at a user's request on the fly which really makes me
nervous. (Although it really helped me whan I needed a minor extension
to the labeling capability.)

The real problem is that ImageMagick has so many divergent
parts...IamgeMagick, PerlMagick, Magick++, JMagick, and probably one
or tow that I've never really played with. I think he should either
split it up with a common library or go to a stable/development scheme
similar to most larger packages as well as FreeBSD (stable/current).

But the package belongs to Cristy and he makes the final call on this
stuff. I've been using it for at least 7 years and seldom had problems
with it. It just makes it really, really hard to keep a port
up-to-date, especially soon after a new release.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)