Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:46:43 -0800
From:      rvega@cicese.mx (Raymundo Vega Aguilar)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: forwarding broadcast packets between interfaces

> > Perhaps; try setting gateway=YES in /etd/sysconfig then add the proper
> > routes.
>
> No, this won't work. broadcasts are UDP packets which are not routed by
> a gateway (normally). There may be a way to tell the kernel (with an option)
> to do UDP routing. I remember that Garrett (or David Greenman) once gave me
> that tip.

routing protocols have no idea of the content of the packet, it *only*
looks for the destination IP address, see its routing table and sends the
packet, if tis UDP or TCP does not matter, the problem with what you want
to do is that windows has its own protocol and it does not look like tcp/ip,
so you need a special router....i dont know if gated is "knows" about this.

raymundo