Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:35:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ragnar@sysabend.org (Jamie Bowden)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, dscheidt@enteract.com, tlambert@primenet.com, noslenj@swbell.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?

> Can I point out that the PC isn't the only platform on the planet?  When I
> was at NASA 16 processor (or more) Origin2000's and Sun Enterprise servers
> with anywhere from 200GB to 1TB+ drive arrays on them were quite common.
>
> Eventually PC's won't be single processor toys.  Hell, you can build dual
> CPU boxes now for less than a 286 cost 10 years ago.  Any spec you come up
> with better be scalable, and not ignore multi cpu configurations.

Eventually, PCs will go away, and you will host your sessions
on mainframes once again; only your destop will just always be
there for you to attach to.

A lot of things had to happen for us to go from mainframe to
mini to pc to lan to clinet/server and then back to mainframe;
most of them had to do with economic model (getting away for
CPU second charges, getting "click-through" as a revenue model,
getting low cost high speed networks in place, etc.).

See:

	http://www.qubit.net/

Perhaps you can even convince them to let you use FreeBSD instead
of Linux (they were WIN/CE).

I think you will also start to see true "capabilities" based OSs
("capabilities" is a security model), where you can kick out the
plug, plug it back in, reattach your "webpad", and be back exactly
where you were before you kicked out the plug.

Now if only IKE/ISAKMP weren't based on clipper chip technology...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.