Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 02:12:17 -0500
From:      Michael DuFresne <xdufresn@raytheon.com>
To:        "freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   supported symbios scsi

In the INSTALL.TXT file there is this text (3.3-STABLE):

"You will need a dedicated disk for FreeBSD/alpha. It is not possible
to share a disk with another operating system at this time. This disk
will need to be attached to a SCSI controller which is supported by
the SRM firmware (currently NCR or SYMBIOS and Qlogic ISP are
supported)."

I am curious which of the symbios controllers will actually _boot_ the
machine. I have a PC164 motherboard which currently has ARC firmware. I
will be upgrading to the latest SRM firmware. I currently have a Tekram
DC-390U2W card with a 53c895 chip. Has anyone had success installing and
booting from this controller, or will I need to find a controller based
on an older, supported, 53c8xx chipset?

I am still gathering hardware together for this, so I haven't had a
chance to actually test anything yet. Getting over RAM sticker shock
also, I might add....

Thanks...
--
Mike/TeamNOC

We defeated the enemy with teamwork, and the hammer of not bickering.
							The Shoveller