| raw e-mail | index | archive | help
Perhaps my definition isn't what's accepted. I got confused by the
10bT wire.

> > Here is my current layout from
> > my old message in case you didn't catch it:
> >
> > [isdn]
> >   |___10bT___[hub] ("wire 0")
> >                |___10b2___[Mac]___10b2___[FreeBSD w/ 2 ethernet cards]
> >  ("wire 1")->  |
> >                |___10b2___[NeXT]___10b2___[NeXT]
>
> We seem to have different definitions of 'a wire.' Remember that
> Ethernet is a broadcast protocol. From what I see, this diagram only
> has _one_ wire. That is, a packet sent out by, say, a NeXT box, will be
> seen by _every_ other machine in the picture. When you have several
> cables connected into a hub, as far as I am concerned, they are all
> one 'wire' since each machine on each cable can talk to any other via
> Ethernet.

Ah, yeah, the ISDN router is on net 15 so you're correct.

>>I was thinking of needing a setup like this:
>>
>>[isdn]
>>  |___10bT___[hub] ("wire 0")
>>               |___10b2___[FreeBSD ethernet card 1] (net 15--ed1--"wire 1")
>>                          [FreeBSD ethernet card 2] (net 10--ed2--"wire 2")
>>                             |___10b2___[Mac]___10b2___[NeXT]___10b2___[NeXT]
>
> I do not really understand this picture. First, your hub seems useless
> now. It's just converting from CAT5 to BNC? But more important, you do
> not seem to have any hosts on the 15-net. What is your motivation for
> doing this? (I'm too lazy to go back and dig out the old stuff. ;) You
> above mentioned moving to a new media, 10BaseT, but there is no such
> change in this picture.

Yeah, the ISDN router is on net 15. What I was thinking about was
connecting net 15 machines (and multi-homed Macs) on 1 wire. The
net 10 NeXTs will go on another wire (ed2). Not really sure about
my Macs since they live on both networks using 1 wire.

Ken
--
Ken Lui                                19111 Pruneridge Avenue
klui@cup.hp.com                        Cupertino, CA  95014-0795      USA