Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 2010 18:12:58 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
Subject:   Re: Support for hard drives > 2 TB?

--nextPart1642129.yIELchBEGW

On Friday, December 03, 2010 06:00:29 am Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Can FreeBSD be successfully installed, and run, on all or part of a hard
> drive > 2 TB?  Sector size would be 4 KB, though I think the hard-drive
> firmware can make sector size look like 512 bytes.  I know fdisk can
> handle up to 2 TB; this limit is not just for BSD but Linux too.
>=20
> Western Digital has come out with a SATA hard drive of 3 TB.
>=20
> Tom

Sure.  FreeBSD supports installing to and booting from GPT labeled disks th=
at=20
don't suffer from the 2TB size limitation that fdisk imposes.  The caveat i=
s=20
that very few systems have a BIOS that can boot from a GPT labeled drive.  =
So=20
regardless of your OS, you may still have issues.

It's worth noting that RAID arrays have been larger than 2 TB for years, an=
d=20
the way RAID cards have gotten around the issue is to carve off a chunk of =
the=20
array and present it to the OS as a small boot LUN.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel