Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 10:24:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        Alexander Litvin <archer@lucky.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quota and Mail Spool Files

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Alexander Litvin wrote:

> it is delivering to. I naively thought it was enough for quota system
> to work. Though it doesn't. I asked the same question some time ago,
> and was told that it is not the quota system broken, but mail.local.

No, the quota system is indisputably broken.  We've had continuous
problems with it not enforcing quotas and incorrectly reporting usage.
For example, I have a brand-new user that repquota claims is more than
100% over quota with no grace period left:

tootim    +-  127264   40960   51200   none     325     0     0

yet this user only has 365K in their directory.  A find on the drive shows
no other files owned by them.  And they are perfectly able to upload and
create new files.

Numerous posts on the subject have resulted in no responses.  I'd say the
only way to help with your problem is to hack mail.local to specifically
stat the mail spool of the user and reject it if it's too large.