Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:55:32 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>
To:        Dan Simoes <dans@deva.iclick.com>
Cc:        brian@FreeBSD.org.uk (Brian Somers), dans@iclick.com (Dan Simoes), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG)
Subject:   Re: setting up redirects with natd/firewall

> >   redirect_port tcp 192.168.100.D:80 80
>
> OK, I'll give that a shot.  I should point out for the archives
> that the D above refers to a random number (I didn't want to
> use real network numbers).
>
> Now, that still leaves two issues - how does traffic for
> A.B.C.D "know" to go to the firewall  (ie, do I use a cname, static arp,
> virtual ip?) and what if I have more than one web server behind
> the firewall?

Natd should be run on the interface with address A.B.C.D.  It does
the redirect_port on the primary address by default.  If you have
more than one web server, you'll need to run natd on a multi-homed
interface and do something like

  redirect_port tcp 192.168.100.A:80 A.B.C.D:80
  redirect_port tcp 192.168.100.B:80 E.F.G.H:80

where A.B.C.D and E.F.G.H are your external addresses.

> Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.  Let me know if there is a
> different list I should be using for this, the other lists were all
> listed as "technical"...

This is probably the best list.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>