Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 1995 17:10:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jagnew@csugrad.cs.vt.edu (H. Jared Agnew)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Install problem (-c) (fwd)

> I am a fairly new user but I can get my way around, at least the
> instalation.  I have installed on five systems so far and just minor
> problems but here is the stumper.  I am trying to install to a Dell
> Dimension P100 with 16M of ram, an NE2000 ethernet card, and a 771 #9 video
> card with 2M of vram.  It has two IDE controlers off of the mother board,
> one for the CDROM, and one for the IDE Hard drive.

[ ... ]

> If you have any sudgestions I would greatly apretiate it.  If you know
> please write because I've asked a ton of people and they dont know either.

Maybe the #9 card is sitting on IRQ 2 to have an EGA compatible vertical
retrace interrupt (which was typically used to get rid of "sparklies"
and sometimes hooked for light pen strobes).

Many "high end" (ie: all options you want and some you don't) video
cards sit on IRQ 2.

IRQ 2 and IRQ 9 are the same thing (2 is the cascade interrupt).

All spurious interrupts go to IRQ 7.  Probably you don't want any
hardware there.  Maybe a printer port, but it's kind of bogus.

Plug-n-play cards (you have any of those?) use an LPT port register
to write to search out the hardware.  Some LPT hardware doesn't like
this, and if you have it, you will have to disable Plug-n-play on
all your cards or remove the LPT hardware (hard to do if it's soldered
to your motherboard).

What happens if you pull the network card entirely?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.