Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:09:45 -0800
From:      arnee <arnee@geocities.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Gerald Abshez <gerald@manhattanprojects.com>
Subject:   Re: NFS and Samba (file transfer crashes system)

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     * Are you running softupdates on the UFS filesystem on the NFS server?

no softupdates.

>      I would also look at your 'dmesg' output to see if you are getting any
>     IDE errors.

no IDE errors

>     And there is yet another possibility:  The new ATA driver has lots of
>     problems and as far as I can tell none of the reported problems have yet
>     been fixed.  I would recommend going back to the 'wd' driver and seeing
>     if that helps.

some what in a catch 22 here... mb bios handles only 8.4gig and I have a 17gig
harddrive

>                                         -Matt
>                                         Matthew Dillon
>                                         <dillon@backplane.com>

I am still having the problem as of version current-20000118 morning. And I have come
up with these results with a few scenarios.

SCENARIO 1:
     - from win9x (transferring files from server to win9x) by drag and drop
     - nfsd off
results:
     - server freezes,  reset, no manual fsck, no core dump

SCENARIO 2:
     - from win9x (transferring files FROM win9x to server) by drag and drop
     - nfsd off
results:
     - clean transfer

SCENARIO 3:
     - from win9x (transferring files FROM win9x to server--another try :-)) by drag
and drop
     - nfsd off
results:
     - drop into ddb with this outcome:

fault virtual address      = 0x8bc93139
fault code                 = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer        = 0x8:0xc018aa5f
stack pointer              = 0x10:0xc437be0c
frame pointer              = 0x10:0xc437be28
code segment               = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                           = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags           = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process            = 163 (smbd)
interrupt mask             =
kernel: type 12 trap, code=0
Stopped at      ip_input+0xc7:   lock adcb          $0x75,%al
db> trace
ip_input(c03ca500) at ip_input+0xc7
ipintr(c0209880,0,c021e3c2,c0156ac3,0) at ipintr+0x4b
swi_net_next(c3fe1b40,c437bed0,c435bedc,0,0) at swi_net_next
recvit(c410a400,7,c437bf20,0,c410a400) at recvit+0x101
recvfrom((c410a400,c437bf80,281b0ec8,6bbb,ffff) at recvfrom+0x6c
syscall(bfbf002f,c437002f,bfbf002f,ffff,6bbb) at syscall+0x176
Xint0x80_syscall() at Xint0x80_syscall+0x26

By this time I am suspecting that it might be samba. So, I tried another scenario.

SCENARIO 4:
     - from freebsd 3.2 box (..#cp -r localdir mntpoint)
     - samba off
results:
     - server freezes, reset button, run fsck manually, no core dump

Not sure of what is going on... but I now suspect, like what matt has mentioned, that
neither samba nor nfs are at fault. I simply have to do more experimenting and
running the system without the ultra66 controller.

arnee