Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 19:11:06 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reformatting a 520-byte-per-sector drive

Kris Kirby writes:
> da3 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da3: <IBM 0663 s> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da3: 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 12), Tagged Queueing Enabled
> da3: 957MB (1931265 520 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 943C)
>
> I want this to be 512 bytes/sector.

Kris, I dunno if FreeBSD is smart enough to live with the drive blocked
at 520 octets, if so then use it that way. I took an IBM 9G HD out of a
StorageTek/Clariion RAID and tried every Win9x, NT, Macintosh, SGI, and
Sun utility I could find for changing the block size "back" to 512. The
drive would happily chug right along doing a low level format. But
after it completed it was right back there at 520. I believe IBM ships
drives with custom firmware for RAID OEM's with all parameters locked
with the OEM's selections. Unless you can find new firmware and the
utility to load it, you are probably stuck.

Oh, and the drive wouldn't map out bad blocks either.

After this exercise I was able to put the drive back into the RAID as a
new drive, then bind it back into the RAID5. The binding process
completed before I checked it the next morning.