Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 00:29:21 +0000
From:      "Richard Shea" <richardshea@fastmail.fm>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   USB by PCI ? [CD-Burner needs it]

Hi - I did ask this a couple of days back but got no replies. Having
spent last night fighting with the CD burner on a W2000 machine I'm even
more motivated than I was ! So ...

I have a question about USB with FreeBSD4.4. I have (or will have
this afternoon when it arrives) an old Compaq Deskpro P90 and I'm
thinking of putting a PCI card in it to provide some USB ports. I want
to do this so than I can (I hope, haven't investigated this fully yet)
plug in a CD burner (HP 8200) and so burn CD's via FreeBSD.

What I'd like to know is how does FreeBSD cope with USB devices being
plugged in/out and powered on/off whilst the machine is running. I don't
know why but some thing makes me wonder if this stuff is all going to
work OK ?

I'd also be interested in anyone who has anything to say about USB ports
via PCI under FBSD on an antique machine (as opposed to motherboard
ports on a more recent machines). Any gotchas there ?

thanks

richard shea
richardshea@fastmailNOTTHISBIT.fm

ps : BTW the type of card I've got in mind is :

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3ce8555c07968370273fc0a87f99070e/Product/View/XH6646

--
http://fastmail.fm/ - The professional email service