Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:25:14 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Group problems

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:11:51 GMT, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> And i've had a hard time getting it to boot into single user mode as
> well.  I tried the -s option during boot and it seems inconsistent.

At the new loader prompt, you type ``boot -s''.  With the older boot
prompt (FreeBSD 3.1 and earlier) you just type -s.

> But the shutdown with no arguments halts the system sometimes, and
> other times it goes into single user.  ANy idea why?

So you type shutdown and press enter and the system halts, where "halts"
means that it prints out a message that it's safe to powercycle the
machine?  Never seen that myself.

Ciao,
Sheldon.