Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 09:26:33 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Debugging over the Ethernet?

> Without TCP, you have to implement your own version of
> retry and ack (equivalent to negotiating a window size
> of 1), and so you have to redo what's already there.

Would be nice to have a reliable channel but in our
experience not having this was not a big deal.  The gdb
serial protocol is fairly resilient.

> The other issue with TCP is that you can set up specific
> flows in the company firewall, and also permit SSLeay
> based tunnel encapsulation from outside via an intermediate
> machine.  This isn't really required for off-site debugging,
> but it gives another option.

You are better off ssh-ing into a machine on the same net and
running gdb there.

For me the biggest reason for not using any IP was to
minimize any perturbation due to the debugger.  The fact that
we have to steal mbufs is bad enough.

-- bakul