Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2013 17:55:15 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Two interesting things that broke in the package system while I wasn't looking.

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

On 2013-Oct-30 14:34:20 -0400, Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com> wrote:
>Recently, I have encountered a hassle with a bunch of 7.2 machines that
>need upgrading. Two things, really, that are broken.  I realize that 7.2
>isn't supported... but these two things are errors that don't need to be
>errors --- it's just sloppy.

It's not "sloppy".  "Not supported" means "not supported":  Once a release
isn't supported, developers don't need to worry about compatability with
that release (and existing compatibility code is likely to be ripped out
to reduce the maintenance effort).

7.2 has not been supported for more than 3 years and the last 7.x
release went EoL 8 months ago.  No-one is going to stop you running
7.x but you won't be able to use a current ports tree or current
packages on it.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND