Date:      Fri, 03 Jul 1998 09:07:21 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Variant Link implementation, continued

rivers@dignus.com said:
:-  Eventually, we concluded that the fact that a symlink can change
:-  because of an 'external' influence was a bad idea.

More or less, so did I.  As you point it it seems to be an
idea that doesn't scale well.

In our environment of > 1000 computers and approx 100 automounted
filesystems, I'd worry that the const of management of using this feature
would exceed the benefit.

Note that AMD solves a similiar problem in different way. For
example, /usr/global/bin gets directed to the correct filesystem
based on the architecture/os.

Perhaps a *limited* form of this feature (for example, not involving a
users ENV) might be useful.  I don't think that our internal support
people would like a sitation where who filesystem subtrees disappear
or get misdirected do to a hapless user accidentally clobbering a
environment variable named, say, "OS".

I'd urge caution here.