Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 2015 23:48:27 -0400
From:      "Chad J. Milios" <milios@ccsys.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Ben Bailess <ben.bailess@gmail.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HTTPS on freebsd.org, git, reproducible builds

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 10:44 AM, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> wrote:
>=20
> At 08:07 AM 9/18/2015, Ben Bailess wrote:
>=20
>> I have to echo this sentiment -- authentication is important, and so is
>> integrity. HTTPS would provide both -- to be sure you're talking to the
>> "real" FreeBSD and give you confidence that your page content has not bee=
>> altered in transit by a network adversary (e.g. if you are using Tor)*.
>=20
> I'd mainly be concerned about downloads of distros or updates being
> tampered with. Worms are appearing that infect not only PCs but also
> routers (e.g. the "Moon" worm, which affected most Linksys models availabl=
> at the time), setting up a perfect scenario for an MITM attack that could
> substitute an infected file AND a forged checksum for the originals. If
> an HTTPS download site were available, I would absolutely prefer it to
> an HTTP one. Just my $0.02 USD.
>=20
> --Brett Glass=20

We have HTTPS and its benefits even if you've downloaded via insecure FTP. S=
ee https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.2R/CHECKSUM.SHA256-FreeBSD-10.2-RELEA=
SE-amd64.asc and the rest of the links found on https://www.freebsd.org/rele=
ases/10.2R/signatures.html or https://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.3R/signatur=
es.html

How did this topic of the conversation start? Because http://freebsd.org doe=
sn't issue a redirect to https://? Such a thing does not increase security, i=
t only obscures the fact the user came in through http. HSTS, HPKP and even D=
ANE are all non-solutions to this and related problems, or half-solutions at=
 best, if you ask me.

Beyond the quasi-security of HTTPS more important is the security we get fro=
m PGP with its web of trust as well as the multitude of public key servers i=
n various jurisdictions worldwide.

If security is what you're after, diligence will always be part of the cost.=
 I'm not against the layering of additional security, but to believe HTTPS i=
s a one stop security shop, a silver bullet for confidentiality or integrity=
, is a complacent mindset.

I may be missing the boat as to the concerns you're having. I don't purport t=
o know the ins and outs of freebsd-update or the binary pkg repos since, bes=
ides the occasional download of a full release ISO, I've been building all e=
lse from source for a long time and I'm stuck in my ways.

I will say this though: I can't seem to find the svn server key fingerprints=
 signed by anything [useful] (even if you count the FreeBSD web site) becaus=
e I only find the web servers' keys signed by a random one of the thousands o=
f [as far as I'm concerned, untrustworthy] certificate authorities. I see me=
rit in additionally having a secteam PGP signature over all fingerprints of r=
elevant https keys in use, made available at a convenient location, even if i=
t's only at the very web servers it's signing.=20

The secteam's public PGP key has proliferated across the globe for many year=
s now and it's next to impossible to replace that without raising the alarm o=
f someone exercising a modicum of diligence. HTTPS on the other hand, how it=
 is implemented and typically used, will betray you right under your nose an=
d mislead you right to your face. You need both of course because without HT=
TPS (or TLS in general and really the hierarchy of anointed CAs) you can't t=
alk to any PGP key severs with any reasonable assurance.

You really should get the secteam's PGP key and assure it's identical from a=
s many varied sources as is prudent for your threat model. It's best to veri=
fy a multitude of sources while also varying your own perspective as much as=
 possible over space (i.e. network), time, chosen hardware, chosen software,=
 etc.=