Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:03:44 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADSUP:  CCD(4) hackery...

------- Forwarded Message

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 07:00:58 -0800 (PST)
To: cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org

phk         2003/01/19 07:00:58 PST

  Modified files:
    sys/sys              ccdvar.h
    sys/dev/ccd          ccd.c
  Log:
  Finally give CCD the disk mini-layer treatment:

  CAUTION:

          Previously CCD would be different from all other disks in
          the system in that there were no "ccd0" device, only a
          "ccd0c" device.

          This is no longer so after this commit.  If you access a
          ccd device through the "/dev/ccd0c" device _and_ have not
          actually put a BSD disklabel on the device, you will have
          to use the name "/dev/ccd0".  If your CCD device contains
          a BSD disklabel there should be no difference.

          You need to recompile ccdconfig(8) using the changed
          src/sys/sys/ccdvar.h for the -g "show me" option to work.

          I have run the regression test I created before I started
          overhauling CCD and it flags no problems, but this code
          is mildly evil, so take care.  If you would cry if you lost
          what's on CCD, make a back before you upgrade.

  Create separate cdevsw for the /dev/ccd.ctl device.

  Remove the cloning function, the disk-minilayer will do all naming
  for us.

  Remove the ccdunit and ccdpart functions and carry the softc pointer
  in the relevant dev_t's and structures.

  Release all memory when a CCD device is unconfigured, previously
  the softc would linger behind.

  Remove all traces of BSD disklabel fiddling code.

  Remove ccdpsize, the disk mini-layer does this for us.

  Don't allocate memory with M_WAITOK in ccdstrategy().

  Remove boundary checks which the disk mini-layer does for us.

  Don't allocate space for more than 2 ccdbuf, RAID was never implemented.

  NB: I have not tried to address any of the preexisting ailments of CCD.

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.121     +143 -431  src/sys/dev/ccd/ccd.c
  1.15      +2 -1      src/sys/sys/ccdvar.h

------- End of Forwarded Message