Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:00:41 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        patrick@whetstonelogic.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Re: Diskless Booting a Sun4C

On Tuesday,  1 February 2000 at 10:33:11 -0500, patrick@whetstonelogic.com wrote:
> I am in the process of creating a diskless boot How-To for FreeBSD to
> show how to boot other *BSD OS's from FreeBSD.
>
> I am trying to diskless boot a Sun4C with OpenBSD from my FreeBSD box.
> However, when it goes to nfs mount the file system, it repeatedly gives
> me errors:
>
> RPC timeout from server 0xd298823c1 (not real number)
>
> I contacted the OpenBSD people and they responded with the message
> below.
>
> Yet, I am able to boot NetBSD, and a X.kernel from this same setup.
> And it is the /root directory that is having trouble, not the swap file.
> I've also started 'mountd -r' to attempt what Theo suggested.
>
> Any ideas on how to get this working?
>
> Patrick

Well, what Theo is referring to is:

     -r      Allow mount RPCs requests for regular files to be served.  Al-
             though this seems to violate the mount protocol specification,
             some diskless workstations do mount requests for their swapfiles
             and expect them to be regular files.  Since a regular file cannot
             be specified in /etc/exports, the entire file system in which the
             swapfiles resides will have to be exported with the -alldirs
             flag.

It's not clear that Theo's claim that this is a bug is correct.  By
default, mountd is started with the -r flag.  If you have tried that
and it still doesn't work (make sure you have stopped the old mountd
first), then it looks more like an OpenBSD problem, since you can boot
NetBSD.  I'd suggest you ask him what else is broken :-)

Greg