Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:33:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gore Jarold <gore_jarold@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        ivoras@fer.hr
Subject:   Re: help needed - tuning a filesystem for rm and cp ? (MORE)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Ivan Voras wrote:

> Gore Jarold wrote:
>
> > vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem: 2097152
> > vfs.ufs.dirhash_mem: 2065716
> >

> > Interesting at all ?
>
> Yes, you've used up all dirhash_mem. Since you have
enough memory, try
> increasing dirhash_maxmem by a factor of 4 or more
and testing again. It
> might help you with large directories (lots of
files).

Ok, you are correct - I am indeed maxing out
vfs.ufs.dirhash_mem

I have just upped it by 2x and will continue to
monitor it.

Here is a question for any and all out there reading
... what would you expect would happen to a system
that was constantly maxing out this value, sometimes
on a sustained basis, while the activity that caused
it went on uninterrupted ?

I am seeing the system halt ... is it reasonable to
think that maxing that value out on a regular,
sustained basis would cause a system to halt ?

(6.2-release running on a 4 GB memory p4 xeon ... does
nothing but fileserver duties)

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/